Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Tire Tracks

from November 18, 2007

I was driving home from work the other day, driving behind Maggie down Hollywood Boulevard, when my phone rang. It was Maggie.

"Do you see the Scion next to me?"


"Yeah."

"Can you see who's driving?"
I could only see a silhouette of a man's head with long hair, and white-clothed shoulders.

"No."


"It's Jesus!" exclaimed Maggie. "Pull up closer, you have to see."

The traffic cooperated, and soon I was alongside the Scion. I looked over.

It was Jesus! Not a guy who kinda looked like Jesus, but Jesus - White robes; beard; Son of God; King of Kings; Lamb of Lambs; Emmanuel; the Alpha and Omega; water into wine; for God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life; He descended into hell, on the third day he rose again, He ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of the Father, He will come again to judge the living and the dead; Jesus Christ Superstar do you think you are what they say you are? capital J Jesus!

I thought that I had lived here long enough that I had seen everything Hollywood Boulevard had to offer - Spider-man lugging his laundry, Willy Wonka hitting on Cat Woman, homeless ventriloquists, the "need money for kung-fu lessons" panhandlers, fake hurricanes, a thousand people lined up behind barricades hoping to catch a glimpse of Rob Schneider - every bit of strangeness and oddity that comes when the delusional, desperate and depraved collide with tourism, commerce, and a certain Flying Spaghetti Monster cult all within an eight-block radius - but seeing Jesus of Nazareth, the Messiah returned and driving the all-new, sporty, fuel-efficient Toyota Scion in nautical blue metallic was still a pleasant surprise.
I had almost forgotten I was on the phone.

"Wow, that really is Jesus!"

The traffic in our lane slowed and Jesus put the sandal to the pedal and pulled ahead. I talked to Maggie for a couple more moments and we both got distracted and lost track of Jesus (isn't that always the way?). When we got to the next light He was gone.

"Where did he go?" I asked.


"I don't know," Maggie answered. "I think He must have turned onto Highland. I looked away for a minute and He was gone."

"Don't worry," I replied. "Where you only saw one set of tracks on the road, that's when He was driving you."

No comments: